A chimney fire reported Sunday morning sent rural firefighters and other emergency personnel to the home of Donald Luehring at 56740 Crystal Springs Road, south of Fairbury.
Firefighters dropped chimney bags down the top of the chimney in an attempt to put out the flames.
The fire started due to the build up of creosote in the chimney.
According to Wikipedia.org, creosote is described as the black oily accretion that builds up inside of chimney flues as a result of incomplete burning of wood or coal.
"At the beginning or the end of the heating season, people aren't burning their fires as hot," Kenny Krause, Fairbury Rural Fire Chief said. "This allows the creosote to build up in the chimneys and can lead to a fire."
No water was used at the fire, however fire extinguishers were utilized and positive pressure fans were used to remove smoke from the home.